A Collier County teenager was critically injured early Monday morning when he was hit by a car in Golden Gate Estates.
Mack Simpreux, a 16-year-old Palmetto Ridge High School student, was waiting on a bus for summer school at the time of the accident.
A 72-year-old Naples man was driving the Toyota Prius that hit the boy. The driver was cited for careless driving.
This is too familiar of a story as thousands of kids wait for school busses throughout Southwest Florida. To help your child stay safe, here are a few tips from AboutSchool.com:
- Walk to the bus stop; don’t run.
- Walk on the sidewalk, if possible. If not, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Get to the bus stop about five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Wait in a safe place away from the road. Do not run and play while waiting.
- Don’t speak to strangers and never get into the car with a stranger.
- Wait for the bus to arrive, watch for red flashing lights and the stop sign to be extended, and cross only when all traffic has stopped. Look left, right, and left again before crossing.
For more tips, visit aboutschool.com.